History of our Parish

The "Little Church" of Our Lady of Solitude, Palm Springs was built in 1929 in the California Mission style primarily for the travelers who come to the city's famous resorts. Because in the desert a Mission style of architecture is uncommon, Our Lady of Solitude, as a downtown monument of honest design and simple construction, has sparked interest in its form. Both the church and the hospitality of its parishioners and pastors have brought warmth to the area.

The "Little Church," as it was called before it was officially named Our Lady of Solitude, has had many groups throughout its years. The Holy Name Society and Our Lady of Solitude Women's Guild met the needs of the 70s. In the present the parish has made in impact on the community by providing more than 20 ministries to meet people's needs, from ministries of service to religious education to formation programs.

As the years pass, some changes have been made in the appearance of the church, but its tranquil and devotional atmosphere invites the meditation and repose fostered by its charming simplicity of form and the warmth so appropriate to a house of God that it exudes.

 

 

"Plans for Our Lady of Solitude church were begun in February 1926 under the direction of Father Philip LaVies, who came weekly to Palm Springs from the Indian mission school in Banning.

 

In 1928, temporary church services began on this site, obtained from the Southern Pacific Railroad with the help of P.T. Stevens. Our Lady of Solitude, a Mission Revival structure, was completed in 1930. The builder was Alvah Hicks, a local contractor, and the architect was Albert Martin, who designed the Los Angeles City Hall and Loyola College.

 

The rectory on Alejo Road was added in 1964, while the parish center, facing Belardo Road, was completed in 1976."

 

 

 

 

HSPB-15. This plaque sponsored by the McCallum Desert Foundation.

 

 

 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Comments